Wednesday, March 6, 2013


I had the priviledge of meeting the Snipes family when I was in 6th grade. They met me when my hair was poofy, I was in the awkward middle school stage, and I may or may not have tortured Brett by chasing him at a football game. Little did I know this family would be so special to me for many years to come.

Kyle and I served as Student Body President and Vice President our senior year. We worked closely and I bossed him around was his right hand in command. We had the same superlatives, we were both crowned for Homecoming,so we were pretty much best buds! Not only did I help him with wardrobe selections, I also gave him a hard time about his girlfriends, etc. So, you see he would not have survived high school without me. But one thing that Kyle taught me was about giving to others. He was volunteering at a special needs school in the area and I tagged along with him. Once a week, we'd meet up for Bojangles Boberry biscuits (this is back when calories didn't mean as much;)) and head over to the Washington Center to love on the sweetest babies! This made the biggest impact on me and my decision to go into the education field. It is something that I will always be grateful and appreciative of that time.

Kyle's desire to serve others comes naturally in his family! His parents, Steve and Susan, were known in the community as two of the kindest people! Steve was a teacher at our high school (were he would teach and make lasting impressions on students for 20 years!)Susan, also was an elementary teacher and is now retired. She spends her time volunteering in the community. She sent Owen a handsewn Dinosaur pillowcase for Christmas. He LOVES it and calls it his sleeping bag. She also made miss Lily Caroline a taggy blanket. After retiring from teaching, Steve and his son, Brett, began a painting business that would contribute to charities around the world. While painting the exterior of a house, Steve had a tragic fall that would ultimately end his life. One of my dear friends told me the news and I honestly don't know that I have ever begged God to change his mind more than I did for Mr. Snipes. Thousands of former students, colleagues, friends and community members have been shaken to the core over the huge loss of someone so influential in so many lives. I always knew Mr.Snipes was one of the nicest people I had ever known BUT I did not know the depths of his kindness until so many people began posting on facebook-stories of how he encouraged them not to drop out of high school or gave books to a single mom to inspire her to read to her son, etc. The stories of his huge heart are endless. Speaking of his huge heart, his family continued the legacy of Stevie's giving back by donating his organs. Unfortunately, his heart was not eligible to be donated because it was enlarged..."TOO BIG" which doesn't surprise the almost 2500 people who have joined the Random Acts of Kindness Page on Facebook. This group has committed to paying it forward to others, being kind just like Mr. Snipes. People have been buying others meals, giving $ to those in need, and just looking for ways to brighten someone else's day. What would the world be like if we all did this?

My friend, Lauren and I have started a scholarship fund in honor of Mr. Snipes. The scholarship will be granted to a senior at TRHS that exemplifies community service and the "Devildog (our mascot) Spirit". We will also make a contribution to Susan's charity of choice, the Pillocase Project for DSS. We have already raised $2700 in a few short days. We want this to be an ongoing project that we continue to give back in Steve's honor. If you would like to contribute, please visit here

Here's an article from our local news station about the Random Acts of Kindness Page: http://www.wyff4.com/news/local-news/greenville-news/Classmates-unite-to-honor-teacher-coach/-/9654794/19162466/-/gv2esh/-/index.html

I hope that you will pay it forward and give back in some way...by offering a smile to a stranger or helping someone that needs a friend. I was telling a friend that I think Mr. Snipes may be the most Christ like person I have ever known. I hope that my love for Jesus and the way I treat others can be half of what his was. Also, if you have a moment...will you please pray for Susan, Kyle, Amanda, Brett, and Hudson. They have lost such an incredible person in their family. Although his spirit and deeds of kindness will be with so many people forever. I am so blessed to have known Mr. Snipes and to call of these beautiful people my friends. I am going to volunteer one day (or as many as my schedule and kiddos will allow) at the Washington Center in honor of Steve (and for Kyle!)

No comments:

Post a Comment