Monday, November 18, 2013

Service of Others


It seems that sometimes we miss the purpose of Christmas...we get lost in the Christmas parties, the hustle and bustle of shopping for the perfect gift, and filling our calendar with endless activities. I want to keep this Christmas season simple. To really reflect on our Savior's birth and to use this opportunity to impress that significance on my kids' hearts....and my own.

I don't want to be focused on myself...I also want to help others by serving them. Earlier this year, one of the kindest people I know passed away after a tragic accident. His legacy is one of serving others, being thoughtful and always offering his signature smile. Through this loss, a group has been started on Facebook to do Random Acts of Kindness in Coach Snipes' honor. The group has over 2.500 members and the purpose is to encourage one another to do something kind for someone else-whether that be a smile, opening a door, paying for someone's coffee, or just praying for someone. This year, I have been able to be kind to others on a few occasions and it felt good. These folks were not expecting it and they were very appreciative.

I saw that Courtney Defeo has launched a campaign for this Christmas season. She is encouraging others  "Lightemup" in their community. She would like for at least 100 cities to be represented. My dear friend, Amanda, and I are teaming up with our boys to do something.

Hope that we can all think of someone else this season...just as Jesus was born thinking of all of us...

1 comment:

  1. I love this and couldn't agree more! I'll have to check out Courtney's blog.

    ReplyDelete